Friday, June 19, 2009

Summer Camp - Full Steam Ahead!

It's been a busy week here, with Monday being the first day of the 2009 Indianapolis Children's Choir summer camp, "Summer Festival". Since this is my first year with ICC, I didn't quite know what to expect. I know there was lots of planning, and quite a bit of recruiting this year, but until I saw it for myself I couldn't quite grasp it.

On Monday, ICC began doing what it does better than any other organization: move hundreds of kids with ease. As parents dropped their children off, campers were given an information packet, a T-shirt and an assigned seat. Nervous parents and campers alike seemed to relax when they began to see how organized the system was. A huge hats off to Summer Festival coordinator Erin O'Rourke.

Promptly at 9am, the camp officially started. Our Director of Education Ruth Dwyer has a unique way of infusing enthusiasm into any audience, espcially an audience filled with children. Many other ICC directors were on hand to teach as well. As I roamed around to the different classrooms, I was surprised anew at the wealth of talent we have on our staff. By the end of Day 4, the campers really sound good!

I have a much better idea of our camp going into next year. Our campers don't come home with bug bites, crafts they've made or new stories to tell around the campfire ~ but they do come away with a glimpse into one of the best children's choirs in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment