Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Thanks, Pixar

I have to hand it to Pixar. I was reminded of how good they are at making movies tonight after seeing Toy Story 3. Since 1995 when Toy Story came into our theaters and introdced us to just how real animation can look, the story has followed Andy and the adventures with his memorable cast of toys.

Free family tickets are a perk of having two sons who work at a movie theater, and it was with them I settled in tonight for Toy Story 3. They are taller than me now, but back when Toy Story first premiered, they were 3 and 4. Just like Andy, they will be starting college in the fall. I hadn't expected this film to move us, but it did. By the end of the movie they were talking about their own Woody and Buzz toys, and regaling me with memories of adventures that - until tonight - I hadn't known made such an impact. I was surprised to hear how memorable it was for them to visit the ocean, nurse a turtle back to health and set off fire crackers in their fort built out of snow.

Some things, like the Indianapolis Children's Choir, we know make an impression on our children. The ICC impacts lives every day by offering a top-notch choral education, lessons in teamwork and a chance to see the world. Each young singer also gets something unique out of this program, and like the stories that came bubbling up out of my own boys tonight, we may not know what that is for years. But we work hard every day to make sure the impact is a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment